કવરત્તી ભારત દેશના કેન્દ્રશાસિત પ્રદેશ લક્ષદ્વીપની રાજધાની છે. Kavaratti is a census town as well as the name of the atoll upon which the town stands. It is well known for its pristine white sand beaches and calm lagoons, which makes it a popular tourist destination. It is located 332 km (206 mi) west to the city of Kannur, 351 km (218 mi) west of the city of Kozhikode, and 404 km (251 mi) west of the city of Kochi.
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||3.93 km2 (1.52 sq mi)|
|Length||૫ km (3.1 mi)|
|Width||૧.૫ km (0.93 mi)|
|Highest elevation||૧ m (3 ft)|
|Territory||ચિત્ર:Banner of Lakshadweep.png Lakshadweep|
|Island group||Laccadive Islands|
|Tehsils of India||Kavaratti|
|Subdivisions of India||Kavaratti|
|Largest settlement||Kavaratti (pop. 10,000)|
|Pop. density||૨,૯૨૦/km2 (7560/sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Malayali, Mahls|
|Avg. summer temperature||35 °C (95 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||25 °C (77 °F)|
|Sex ratio||1.227 ♂/♀|
The city is one of the hundred Indian cities competing in a national level competition to get the funds under Narendra Modi's flagship Smart Cities Mission. Kavaratti will be competing for the one of last 10 spots against 20 cities from across India.
The 2011 population for Kavaratti was 11,210 based on the 2011 census of India. Males constitute 55% of the population and females 45%. Of the 1797 families on the island, 57 (about 3%) are below the poverty line.
The literacy was 88.6% for Kavaratti. This was an increase from 44.4% in 1971. The male literacy rate was 94.1%, while the female literacy was 81.66%. In Kavaratti, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Kavaratti has a tropical savanna climate (Köppen Aw). March to May is the hottest period of the year. The year-round temperature ranges between 25 and 35 °C or 77 and 95 °F. Humidity range is 70 to 76 percent.
The monsoon rains usually start at the end of May and continue through early November. The island receives an average of around 1,675 millimetres (66 in) of rain during the year.
|હવામાન માહિતી Kavaratti|
|સરેરાશ મહત્તમ °C (°F)||30.2
|સરેરાશ ન્યૂનતમ °C (°F)||23.7
|સરેરાશ વરસાદ મીમી (ઈંચ)||27.4
Tourism is one of the primary industries on the island. The island has pristine white sand beaches, favored by tourists for sun bathing. The calm lagoons on Kavaratti island are ideal for water sports and swimming.
A number of hotels and resorts have been developed on Kavaratti in recent years. The waters around the coral atoll are rich in diverse marine life. The Kavaratti Aquarium has a rich collection of corals and a vast collection of tropical fish specimens.
The other major industries on the island are fisheries and agriculture. Coconut is the dominant crop on the island. With the ascent of tourism, the fishing industry has seen a major decline.
Among the most popular means of travel to Kavaratti from the Indian mainland is via an overnight voyage by passenger ships. A number of passenger liners operate from Kochi to Kavaratti and other Lakshadweep islands.
The nearest domestic airport is Agatti Airport on Agatti Island 54 km (29 nmi) away, followed by helicopter or boat transfers from Agatti to Kavaratti. Commercial flights usually operate from Kochi to Agatti.
Water supplyફેરફાર કરો
Ground water is the major source of water supply to Kavaratti. The island has 190 ponds to collect monsoon waters and 1325 wells.
With increasing population, the Government of India commissioned a low temperature desalination plant (LTTD) in Kavaratti in May 2005. The desalination plant established at a cost of ઢાંચો:Indian Rupees5 crores has a capacity to supply 100,000 litres of drinking water every day.
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Lakshadweep. મૂળ (PDF) માંથી 22 જુલાઇ 2016 પર સંગ્રહિત.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Kavaratti
- "Kavaratti Island" (PDF). Union Territory of Lakshdweep. મૂળ (PDF) માંથી 5 મે 2012 પર સંગ્રહિત. મેળવેલ 6 મે 2012.
- "Kavaratti". India Guide. મેળવેલ 6 મે 2012.
- "Kavaratti Climate". Union Territory of Lakshadweep. મૂળ માંથી 2 ફેબ્રુઆરી 2014 પર સંગ્રહિત. મેળવેલ 6 મે 2012.
- "Kavaratti Islands, Lakshadweep". Must See India. મૂળ માંથી 18 મે 2012 પર સંગ્રહિત. મેળવેલ 6 મે 2012.
- "A New Desalination Plant at Kavaratti to Supply Drinking Water from Monday". Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. 20 મે 2005. મૂળ માંથી 21 નવેમ્બર 2008 પર સંગ્રહિત. મેળવેલ 22 ડિસેમ્બર 2008.
- "Desalination: India opens world's first low temperature thermal desalination plant". IRC International Water and Sanitation Centre. 31 મે 2005. મૂળ માંથી 27 માર્ચ 2009 પર સંગ્રહિત.
- Lakshadweep પ્રવાસન માહિતી વિકિવોયજ પર